Is DIY Home Security Worth Your While?
When evaluating options in home security, residents are often faced with the choice of DIY home security versus professionally installed and monitored home security systems. It might seem like an easy apple to apple decision on the surface, but in reality, it is much more complex.
Home Security Projects
With the growing popularity of DIY and project driven sites like Pinterest, almost everything has a DIY option, and home security is no exception. We all like the idea of a great project, but do-it-yourself home security is a lot different than getting your hands dirty or putting in some elbow grease to restore a table. An inadequate job can jeopardize your safety and that of your family. The connectivity, compatibility, right equipment and capabilities as well as right placement all play a vital role in the effectiveness of a home security system.
What You Need to Know
Home security and video surveillance is not a plug and play venture. It is a science that requires a lot of different facets of knowledge.
- Equipment capabilities. There is a wide range of options in home security equipment and components. And each have a different set of features and capabilities, and made for a specific purpose. For example, cameras are very specific to serve certain purposes, such as for small spaces or dark areas. Even a great security camera in the wrong place can’t do the job well.
- Proper placement. Placement of cameras and sensors is critical to the working of your system. When placing your equipment, you must have a complete knowledge of the component and how it works in order to place the equipment properly.
- It is important to research the all security system components and understand compatibility issues. They must work well together and be able to connect to the network.
One of the key aspects of home security is professional home security monitoring. In DIY home security, professional monitoring is not always an option, and if it is you need to be aware of the service offerings to ensure it is what you expect and that it will meet your needs. It is also important to ensure that your components are compatible with their network. In professionally designed, installed, and monitored systems, those things are already insured.
About GuardMe Security
While taking a DIY route is a possibility, it likely would not result in the same capacities of a professionally installed and monitored home security system. Guardme is a single source electronic security provider, serving clients with high-quality equipment and exceptional service.
- Who’s on the Front Porch When You’re Not There? - April 30, 2020
- When Summer Starts Early, Home Security Can Help - April 30, 2020
- Home Security in a Time of Social Distancing - April 13, 2020