While you are on vacation this Spring Break enjoying the great weather and school-free days, your home will be sitting there empty. Empty houses are prime targets for criminals because they know you will leave plenty of valuables ripe for the taking while you are away. By taking the right precautions, you can keep your home safe.
Tips That Will Ensure Your Home Is Safe While You Are Away
Before heading out on vacation, make sure you take a few safety precautions, including:
- Asking Neighbors or Friends to Help – Let your neighbors know you are leaving town for a few days and see if they can keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. Consider having a friend or family member drop by to get your mail, water plants and check in on the house.
- Make Your Home Look Occupied – Making intruders think you are still around will make your home less of a target. Use your home’s automation system to put lights and electronics on at certain times of the day. If you will be gone longer than a week, have a landscaper come and mow the lawn. An overgrown lawn is a sure sign that owners have been away for a while.
- Do Not Leave the Spare Key – Do not leave a hide-a-key outside your house. If you have someone checking in, give them an alarm code or give them the key physically. The first thing burglars look for is a key hidden outside.
- Install a Home Security System – If you do not already have one, a home security system can protect your home regardless of how long you are away. With the right combination of glass break sensors, door and window sensors and even motion detectors, you can catch intruders and deter ones that previously considered your home a target.
About GuardMe Security
The professionals at GuardMe offer free estimates for home security systems. We can assess your home and help you pick the right security solution for when you are home as well as when you are away. Call the GuardMe experts today at (800) 235-0644.
Latest posts by Craig Metzger (see all)
- Home Automation and the Ultimate Gaming Experience. Genius - October 9, 2019
- Today’s Front Porch Security - October 5, 2019
- The Ultimate Parents Smart Home Security Checklist for the Fall - September 25, 2019