A burglary is defined as unlawful or forced entry and is usually accompanied by theft. If you are away from home on Spring Break Vacation, will your home be broken into and burglarized? Data from the FBI 2016 crime report (http://www.fbi.gov/about- us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012) shows that we can expect one in every 36 homes in America to be burglarized each year. In addition, each burglary results in an average loss of $1,675 per break in, but that amount does not take into account the psychological impact on the homeowners.
4 Types of Burglary
There are four types of burglary:
- Attempted forcible entry – the burglar used force in an attempt to gain entry to your home
- Unlawful entry without force – the criminal had no legal right to be on the premises but entered anyway
- Forced entry – the burglar used force to gain entry into your home by breaking a window, picking a lock, or cutting through a door
- Completed burglary – a burglar gained entry and stole something with or without the use of force
Gaining a Technological Advantage to Prevent Home Burglary
Technological advances have played a part in the reduction of burglary rates throughout the United States. While home security systems have been available since 1969, the latest camera surveillance technology gives the homeowner a significant technological advantage:
- Cameras deter criminals from breaking in because of their effectiveness at recording and the ability to positively identify burglars.
- Video surveillance ensures that the homeowner can positively prove when their home was broken into and what was taken.
Current data suggests that homes without security cameras are 2.7 times more likely to be targeted by a burglar – especially when the homeowner is away.
About GuardMe Security
To learn more about protecting your home from burglary, call the experts at GuardMe Security: (800) 235-0644. Or click here to find out how security cameras can help you protect your home from burglary.
Latest posts by Craig Metzger (see all)
- Home Automation and the Ultimate Gaming Experience. Genius - October 9, 2019
- Today’s Front Porch Security - October 5, 2019
- The Ultimate Parents Smart Home Security Checklist for the Fall - September 25, 2019