Whether they are at home alone after school for a few hours or while you are out running errands, it is imperative your children know about home security. The efficiency of your home’s security system relies on those who use it; and that includes your children. If your kids are old enough to be left home alone, use these tips for introducing them to home security and personal safety.
How to Introduce Kids to Home Security
- Make Sure They Are Ready – It is one thing for your child to operate your home security system while you are there, but it is another when you are away. Make sure your child is ready to use the system on their own. Most kids are left at home alone starting around age 12 or 13, but just because your children are old enough does not mean they are mature enough to handle the task. Your children should be able to interact with the home security system (arming it and disarming it) and be able to take care of themselves while they are at home alone.
- Have a Training Session – Schedule time to train your child on the home security system. Make it exciting and avoid drawing out the process for too long. Let your child know the purpose of the home security system (protecting your home and family), but keep the conversation positive and do not frighten or intimidate them.
- Test It Out – After you have trained your child on how to use the system, test it out. For a couple of days, have them be in charge of arming and disarming the system (under your supervision) to make sure they remember how to use it.
Children can remain at home safely with a home security system. However, not all security systems are created the same. If you are thinking about leaving your kids at home alone, consider updating your current home alarm to one that is kid-friendly and easy to use. A home security professional can help you pick out the right alarm system for the entire family.
Learn more about teaching your children to use your home security system by contacting GuardMe. Call today at (800) 235-0644 or ask a question online.
Latest posts by Craig Metzger (see all)
- Home Automation and the Ultimate Gaming Experience. Genius - October 9, 2019
- Today’s Front Porch Security - October 5, 2019
- The Ultimate Parents Smart Home Security Checklist for the Fall - September 25, 2019