Congratulations! You’ve moved into your new home. Whether it’s your first or your fourth, every home has a number of aspects to keep in mind right from the start. Obviously, keeping a checklist is important, but sometimes we run into situations where we don’t have the time to take a second and organize our thoughts. Luckily, we here at GuardMe do, and we’ve taken the liberty to put together a handy checklist of tasks every new homeowner should keep in mind when moving into their new digs.
- Change your locks – Whether you decide to rekey your locks or change them completely, this is among most important thing to keep in mind when purchasing a new home. Since you can’t possibly know the character of every person the previous homeowner gave spare keys to, (or those who might have spare keys that shouldn’t) the safest option is to change your locks and save yourself the headache.
- Do a sweep of the house – Check your windows, storms, cellar entrances, attic, and everything in between when you first enter the home. Ensure that all locks are working as they should, and make sure there aren’t any holes or gaps in your home that potential burglars can potentially exploit.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors – Some of us have different opinions of the importance of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors than others, so it’s crucial to make sure all of your detectors have new batteries and work properly. A defective smoke detector can be the difference between stopping a small fire from going out of control and losing all your worldly possessions in an inferno.
- Dispose of boxes and packaging properly – Giant television and furniture boxes are like honey to flies for potential home intruders. They know you’ve got nice things in your house and will be more likely to attempt a break-in. Break down those large boxes and place them in a closed recycling container in order to throw off the scent of thieves and keep your home safe.
- Trim your flora – Overgrown plant life makes for a perfect hiding space for unwanted guests. Be sure to trim your bushes, plants, trees, and more and keep them well-maintained in order to deter thieves from trying to enter your home.
- Install a home security system – The most obvious way to keep your home safe and burglar-free is to install a home security system. Motion-sensitive cameras on the outside and inside of your home, photoelectric smoke detectors, environmental detectors, security keypads and more can potentially deter criminals from even attempting a break-in, and can help you keep your family and possessions safe in the event there is forced entry into your home.
About GuardMe Security
GuardMe offers a number of different options for homeowners interested in a home security system built to match your family’s wants and needs. We also offer home automation systems for those interested in a “smart home” that can be controlled by a smartphone or tablet. No matter what you desire, GuardMe’s team of experts will be sure to exceed your expectations and deliver a high-quality system that you and your family can be confident in.
For more information or to get a home security quote, visit www.guardmesecurity.com
Latest posts by Craig Metzger (see all)
- Smart Home Security and Home Automation Can Help Watch This Kids This Summer - July 30, 2019
- Simplify Your Summer Party With Smart Home Automation - July 23, 2019
- 3 Essential Outdoor Security Products to Make You Summer Safer - July 18, 2019